Banner image

Report: Charlton Athletic 2-5 Bristol City Women

City Women score four goals in the final thirty minutes to complete a resounding 5-2 victory over Charlton Athletic, but unfortunately miss out on qualification from the pool stages of the FA Continental Cup.

What Happened?

Chances came few and far between in the opening fifteen minutes, but Ebony Salmon broke the deadlock in spectacular fashion as she dropped her shoulder and shifted the ball on to her right food before rifling the ball in to the top corner from twenty yards out.

The Robins almost doubled their lead minutes later as Yana Daniels tried her luck from range, but her effort flashed inches over the bar.

Charlton drew level with a sublime finish of their own via the left boot of Charlie Devlin. The forward was allowed time and space on the edge of the box, which gave the opportunity to pick out the top corner with a curling effort, past the outstretched Cumings.

The two sides went into the half on level terms and it took until the sixtieth minute for City Women to claim the lead. Charlie Wellings was introduced to proceedings shortly after half-time and made an immediate impact as she managed to pick out the bottom corner with a pinpoint strike from the edge of the box.

Charlie Wellings gave City Women the lead five minutes after being introduced (JMPUK).

Ten minutes later, Katie Robinson gave City Women a two-goal lead after Georgia Wilson won possession in midfield and played a through ball for the forward to run on to and dispatch into the bottom corner.

With the wind in their sails, City Women continued to push their opponents and Vita Van der Linden managed to her net her first goal in Bristol City shirt. Frankie Brown was unlucky not to see her acrobatic effort fly into the back of the net, instead it rebounded off the bar and fell to the feet of Van der Linden who stabs the ball home.

Georgia Wilson capped off an impressive display and got her name on the scoresheet in some style. Loren Dykes punched the ball into the feet of the seventeen-year-old and she struck it first time with her effort dipping perfectly under the bar from twenty-five yards out.

Charlton would go on to have the final say as Charlie Devlin's well-struck shot nestled into the bottom corner to give the hosts a consolation goal.


Bristol City Women: Cumings, Dykes (C), Evans (Matthews 45’), Sargeant, Allen (Pattinson 55’), Brown, Wilson, Van der Linden, Daniels (Wellings 50’), Robinson, Salmon

Subs: Baggaley, Strippel

Charlton Athletic: Salgado, Newborough, Coombs (C), Clifford, Devlin, Gotch, Estcourt, Esggesvik, Legg, Heuchan, Mustaki

Subs: Startup, Campbell, Dorey, Espinosa, Casley, Griffin, Maple

Key moment: Katie Robinson

After the break, City Women took the lead through replacement Wellings but it was in fact Robinson’s goal and the Robins’ third that would be key in the Continental Cup clash.

Wilson dispossessed her opposite number in the centre of field, before driving at Charlton defence and freeing Robinson in the box to fire the ball across goal and into the bottom corner, giving the visitors a deserved two-goal cushion.


Player of the match: Ebony Salmon

From the opening minute Salmon was a live wire in the final third and caused Charlton defensive headaches from the get go.

Her movement on and off the ball had defenders second guessing and she showed glimpses of her devastating turn of pace, not to mention a sublime finish into the top corner to open proceedings.

The youngster’s defensive improvements were also evident to see as she raced back forty metres - seeming to appear from nowhere - to prevent Charlie Devlin from taking a shot on goal to give the hosts the lead at 1-1.